Ren Hu: Rebel Yell was a three time Playstation Award finalist beat’em up which –at the time- was the biggest action game ever made in HTML5.
I served as the director, producer, writer, and designer for Ren Hu, leading the project through the funding, pre-production, script writing, and prototyping stages to development. With a team of 7 students who had no previous professional game development experience, I oversaw the creation of a playable alpha featuring innovative technology that ended receiving high critical acclaim.
- Secure initial funding.
- Lead a team of designers, animators, musicians, etc. to execute creative vision.
- Design and balance combat mechanics and enemies.
- Create initial level design.
- Write script.
- Develop wireframes and code for UI.
- Negotiate partnerships and licensing agreements.
- Manage marketing and Kickstarter campaign for the project.
Role: Director, Programmer.
Team size: 7 full-time, several freelancers as needed.
Tools: Construct 2, Blender, Reaper, Photoshop, and many others.